Monday, April 12, 2010

Essay Reflection (Alchemist and Juluis Caesar)


Ideas and Content
While reading my Alchemist and Julius Caesar essay I found that although I have a few grammatical mistakes, my writing is almost always related to the topic and mostly makes since. In both essay I show that I know my topic well. I found that my Juluis Caesar essay was more enjoyable to read then my Alchemist because I included interesting details. In my Alchemist essay I included details, but not ones worth stating. Another place that I have grown stronger in is explaining how my quotations relate to the main idea of my paragraph. To enhance my writing I would need to work on making sure all of my information is related to the topic and reread and be sure all my writing makes since.

Organization
The alchemist essy has a much better hook then the Juluis Caesar.
“When I have been truly searching for my treasure I’ve discovered things along the way that I never would have seen had I not had the courage to try things that seemed impossible for a shepherd to achieve.” (Coelho 250). In the Alchemist, Santiago, a shepherd, dreams of a treasure at the Egyptian pyramids and decides to follow his destiny.
In my alchemist essay I start with a quote that draws the reader in and then start with my topic, however I am very disappointed with my Julius Caesar essay. In my Julius Caesar Essay I do the opposite of this and the result is that it is not as impacting on the reader.
“This essay is based on the character Cassius, from the play Julius Caesar written by Shakespeare. “Ye gods, it doth amaze me a man of such feeble temper should so get the start of the majestic world and bear the palm alone.” (Act one, scene 2 lines 127-129).”
In both my Alchemist Essay and my Juluis Caesar I have a clear thesis statement. Alchemist: Santiago is able to achieve his destiny by acting courageous, staying open-minded throughout his journey and optimistic to new adventures.
Julius Caesar: Cassius’s jealousy of Caesar and greed for power is his motivation for killing Caesar, which he justifies as an act for freedom from tyranny.
In both my Alchemist Essay and Juluis Caesar I begin with clear topic sentences for my body paragraphs. I need to improve on establishing context prior to introducing my quote in both essays and I need to work on developing good transition sentences. I tend to enjoy writing my conclusions however in the alchemist essay I introduced new ideas and therefore didn’t stay completely on topic.

Personal Growth
After re-reading my essays I found that I have made small improvements from my Alchemist essay to my Julius Caesar Essay. I improved on establishing context prior to introducing my quotes and then explaining how my quote relates to the text however I still need to work on both. I had interesting details, unlike my alchemist essay where I did include details but not ones that attract the reader’s attention.In my Alchemist essay I introduced new ideas which means I didn’t on topic and didn’t summaries my essay. In my Juluis Caesar essay I learned from writing my previous essay not to introduce new ideas and stuck to my topic. However I did have one downfall, in my Julius Caesar essay my beginning sentence, to hook the reader’s attention lacked in interest and I found that my Alchemist essay was better constructed on that part.

SLR Reflection
While constructing my essay I did a lot o f reasoning critically. For my Julius Caesar essay I needed to reason critically while picking two dominant motivation traits for the character I was focusing on, Cassius. I also needed to do the same while writing my Alchemist essay, except I needed to pick three traits that help the main character, Santino, discover his destiny. I needed to use this SLR while choosing quotes to back up my ideas and to decide how to imbed them into my paragraphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment